Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Mad Tea Party - Etsy Sellers Team Up for an Alice in Wonderland-Themed Photoshoot

A Mad Tea Party in the Winter Woods

So Sunday was a very cold day in Nashville. Highs in the low 40s with a "feels like" in the high 20s. Nonetheless, some stalwart designers, models, hair and makeup professionals and a photographer made their way to a muddy and somewhat dead-looking spot in the woods next to a swollen creek. Their mission: a collaborative Alice in Wonderland Tea Party fashion photo shoot! The models were shivering and skewering leaves on their stiletto heels and the designers and photographer's hands were somewhat numb, but the result is a beautiful contrast of brightness and color against a gray winter wood and sky and a rushing blue green stream.

Josh, the photographer, did an awesome job. I've re-processed some of his pictures here because I wanted them to match my style and show more of the true color of the pieces. And, I can't help myself. To see them as Josh intended, you can go to the photo stream here.

Organizing the party was Jennie Vicious of ViciousThreads, as the design coordinator and primary dress maker. Her vision was of beautiful party dresses inspired by the Alice in Wonderland canon, avoiding a costume-ish look but still referring to the characters. Seven models were brought in, each playing a different role (Note: Some of the original models couldn't make it and I'm missing the names of some of the brave souls who filled in, I might have to come in and fix it later).
CAST:
Olive the Patient (in a Sai-Sai Arts mini top hat) and Alice (Nikki Ryan)


The White Rabbit (late again) and Alice


The Elegant Queen of Hearts


The Maaad Hatter (Brittnye)


The March Hare (Victoria)


The Dormouse (Miss Danielle Turner)


The Grinning Cheshire Cat (Tiffany Angulo)

After the initial tea party was shot, Jennie pulled out some formal dresses she'd made for Alice and the Queen of Hearts (now being played by Victoria, the previous March Hare). I tried to decide which one I liked better...but in the end I think I want them both. I need a prom or something as an excuse...
I may have made three Queen of Hearts crowns. I do get carried away...

The hair and makeup artists did amazing work:

Hair by Amanda Davis

Makeup by Julie Elizabeth

Heather Thompson of GatheringVintage brought in some beautiful shabby chic vintage table ware and made a beautiful spread

And Sai-Sai Arts (that's me!) made an excessive number of little top hats, some mini crowns, and a rose fascinator for the occasion. As well as the Queen of Hearts' Royal Flush necklace. I will be working on getting everything into the Shoppe over the next few days.
Oh mini hats, why do I love you so? I must be a mad, mad hatter myself

It helped that there were cupcakes

4 comments:

heather -Gathering Spriggs said...

what a fabulous post. wonderfully written. i love what you have done with the photos. what a fun experience. i look forward to more. and working with you again. your hats are amazing creations. i am inspired by your wonderful work!! :)

Liselle MonCherie said...

gosh! this is so wonderful! a fantastic fantasy!

Fresh Twist Photography said...

am planning a shoot like this as we speak! wonderful inspiration! Look forward to following your blog!

Maren said...

Thanks Heather! Good luck with your shoot, look forward to seeing it!