|The stitched up fabric hat (I'm playing around with the veiling)|
and there are two people working in the back, not Mickey Mouse ears...
In class we worked some more on our fabric hats. I carefully pinned mine into a pattern that I liked, using quite a lot of pins, which caused a lot of pain when it came to stitching it in. Basically you have to try to invisibly sew your pleats down while having them stay put and lay right. I was able to cheat a little bit because of my sequiny fabric (I hid some stitches underneath the sequins, shh, don't tell). If I had picked something satiny, I would have had a lot harder time of it. Nonetheless, it was slow work, a lot of which had to do with all of the pins sticking out of it.
Once I got the top part stitched down and trimmed, I cut out some fuchsia pink silk for the lining, and its pieces together, which was surprisingly tricky. I had it done before the end of the class and tried it in the hat...at which point I found that you could see through the silk. And to all of the ugly black stitches I wasn't worried about because they were going to be covered. I have a plan that might work.
Today we're blocking another little felt hat, pretty much whatever we want. While that dries I'll be fixing my fabric hat. I'm a little sad about the last day of class :(