Sunday, March 25, 2012

Days 4 and 5

Making patterns, which involves "maths" and some interesting tricks

  So I know I didn't post about day 4, and besides some internet issues, the reason is that I spent day 4 sewing a ribbon to the brim of my straw hat.  That is aside from some edge trimming and the ironing in half of said ribbon.  So there were no pictures and nothing really to report.

  Day 5 was spent on learning how to make patterns and then making a hat from one of the patterns.  So I now have patterns for a beret and a baker's boy hat to fit my head.  I bought some nice thick, sort of silly, blue and green plaid blanket like wool for my baker's boy hat.  I decided to carefully line up each of the 6 pieces on the same spot in the pattern, so that the final hat would have a nice, circular symmetry (whereas I usually just try to use a little fabric as possible).

My carefully traced out wedges for the baker's boy cap
  I finished up the straw hat except for the trim and the fabric hat except for the band that goes on the inside to fit it to your head.  I don't have pictures of those yet, but I'll get them up eventually :)

No comments: